Oatmeal is definitely one of my favorite breakfasts to eat. I didn’t like it as much as a kid. But back then, I didn’t realize that there was a whole world out there beyond the boring plain envelope that you got in the box. Making your own oatmeal at home allows for a lot of creativity and flavor combinations that you’re never going to find in an envelope. For example, why not add plums to your oatmeal? The best part is, you can start making this at night so that it is ready to eat in the morning, saving your time and giving you a tasty and healthy start to your day.
Ingredients for Plum Overnight Oats
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¾ cup water
- 1 fresh plum, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Maple syrup
- Ground cinnamon
How To Make Plum Overnight Oats
- Boil the water in a small to medium-sized pan.
- Reduce the heat and add in 3/4 cup of almond milk, salt, and the oats.
- Simmer for about 4 minutes.
- When completely cooked, remove the pan from the heat and scoop the contents into a bowl to cool, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in remaining milk.
- Add the maple syrup.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, stir the chopped up plum bites with a little bit of syrup and cinnamon.
- Add them over the oatmeal and enjoy!