Is it really St. Patrick’s Day without the classic corned beef and cabbage? I’m lucky that I live in an area with a lot of Irish heritage, so I have it in abundance if I want to go out either on St. Paddy’s Day or on Parade Day. I have to have my sliders every year. But then the classic dinner is also a must. And you can make it right at home!
Ingredients for Classic Corned Beef and Cabbage:
- 5 pounds of corned beef brisket
- 1 large onion with 6 cloves embedded
- 6 peeled and sliced carrots
- 8 new potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- dried thyme
- bunch of parsley
- 2 heads of cabbage, quartered
Ingredients for sauce:
- half pint of whipping cream
- 3 tbsp prepared horseradish
How to make Classic Corned Beef and Cabbage:
- Boil beef, onion, carrots, potatoes, thyme, and parsley in large pot of water.
- Simmer and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove sediment, thyme, parsley, and onion.
- Add cabbage and simmer for 20 more minutes, or until the cabbage is cooked.
- Remove the meat and divide into pieces.
- Remove and cabbage and season heavily with black pepper.
- Serve on a large plate with the beef surrounded by cabbage, carrots, and potatoes.
- Serve the horseradish sauce to add, if desired.
How to make the sauce:
Whip the cream and then add to the horseradish.
You can also make this classic dish in the slow cooker.