January is both Slow Cooker Month and Oatmeal Month. This easy recipe kills two birds with one stone, if you’re into thematic cooking and eating. Plus, oatmeal is just so good for you and so tasty. This version is also sweet and fruity to tempt your tastebuds. The best part is, you can set it to cook overnight and have breakfast ready to go first thing in the morning, saving you a bit of time! Or if you feel like having a long and leisurely start to the day, you can also cook it on high for a shorter cooking time. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Overnight Oatmeal
- 3/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/4 cup chopped dried pears
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 Tbsp currants
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup half-and-half, evaporated skim milk, or creamy soy milk, plus more for serving
How to Make Overnight Oatmeal in the Slow Cooker
- Put all the ingredients directly into the slow cooker, stirring until combined.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours (or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours), until thick and creamy.
- Stir well before serving hot. Add more milk, if desired.
Makes 2 servings
Need a slow cooker?
Are you looking to upgrade your slow cooker? Sometimes the smaller ones are best for smaller meals like this one. Plus they are quite affordable. Check it out by clicking on the picture! And please note that this is my affiliate link, so I may earn a few pennies should you make any purchases through it.