The best breakfast is one that you don’t have to spend a lot of time prepping so early in the morning, and yet is filling and tasty. Breakfast burritos are one of my favorite things and you can do so much of the prep work the night before to have it ready to go first thing in the morning. Or you can make the breakfast burrito filling ahead of time otherwise, let it cool, and keep it in the refrigerator for up to five days. All you have to do is reheat, make your eggs, and then add cheese and salsa to taste before rolling it up. Easy, right?
Ingredients for Breakfast Burrito Filling
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 cups broth or water
- 3/4 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
***When making the burritos, you will need one large egg and one large flour tortilla per burrito. Some people may wish to add cheese, salsa, and/or sour cream as well.
How to Make Breakfast Burrito Filling
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Serve right away if made overnight. Otherwise, let cool and refrigerate for up to five days.
How to Put Together the Breakfast Burrito
- Warm the filling if you made it ahead of time and refrigerated it.
- Scramble one egg per burrito.
- Put the egg and filling in the middle of a large flour tortilla.
- Add cheese, salsa, and sour cream as desired.
- Roll up the burrito.
Need a slow cooker?
Are you looking to upgrade your slow cooker? This is a high-end one that is highly recommended. Check it out! And please note that this is my affiliate link, so I may earn a few pennies should you make any purchases through it.