Ice cream sandwiches are always delicious at any time of year. So whether you want to celebrate National Ice Cream Sandwich Day on August 2 or just enjoy the deliciousness any time of year, mix things up by making your own waffle ice cream sandwiches.
This recipe makes four ice cream sandwiches, so adjust the amounts as necessary to accommodate your tastes and needs. Traditionally, people use something like vanilla bean ice cream for the filling. But I say use whatever flavors you want! The advantage of waffles is all kinds of flavors taste good with them. See what you like best!
If you can find square waffles, you’ll find those work better than round waffles. You can cut them in half to make rectangles, to feel more like traditional ice cream sandwiches. Or you can make your own homemade waffles, using a waffle maker, like this one by DASH. Just be sure to try to keep them thinner so that they’re easier to eat as a sandwich. (Click on the picture for more information. It is my affiliate link. That means I make a few pennies should you make a purchase using it, at no additional cost to you.)
Ingredients for Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 quart ice cream
- 8 small waffle rectangles or squares
- Choice of toppings(chocolate sauce, sprinkles, chopped nuts, etc.)
How to Make Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Take ice cream out of the freezer to let it soften for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange waffles on a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake waffles until golden brown. If you use the premade frozen ones, this can take 10-12 minutes. Be sure to flip them halfway through.
- Set waffles aside to cool.
- Add a scoop of ice cream to half of the waffles and gently spread into an even layer.
- Top each one with another waffle to create a sandwich.
- Place each sandwich back on the baking sheet and place the sheet in the freezer so that the ice cream firms back up again.
- Once firm, dip the sandwiches in chocolate sauce, sprinkles, and nuts if you want!
2 thoughts on “Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches”