One thing I love about the summer months is the abundance of fresh fruit. You can use it to infuse water or get creative by dressing up your favorite beverages. Take this Sparkling Blueberry Maple Lemonade, for example. I have been drinking a lot of lemon juice and freshly squeezed lemonade lately, because that is good for my kidneys. Honey is good for the immune system. And there’s nothing like fresh blueberries at the peak of berry season. Add in a few other ingredients, and you have this flavorful, refreshing beverage that is perfect to serve on a warm summer’s day.
It only takes about 20 minutes to make this drink, including cooking the blueberry maple simple syrup, which should only take you about five minutes. This recipe serves four people, so multiply it as many times as you need to accommodate everyone!
Ingredients for Sparkling Blueberry Maple Lemonade
- 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 T. fresh mint, crushed
- 1-2 T. real maple syrup
- 3 T. honey, preferably local
- 3 c. water, divided
- 1/2 .c fresh lemon juice
- 1 c. club soda
- Ice cubes, to serve
- Mint sprigs
- Fresh blueberries
- Lemon wedges
How to make Sparkling Blueberry Maple Lemonade
- Make blueberry maple simple syrup by combining blueberries, mint, maple syrup, honey, and 1/4 c. water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer approximately four to five minutes, until the mixture is heated through and is starting to thicken. While it is simmering, gently press the blueberries with a wooden spoon to release the juices, while stirring to combine with the other ingredients.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to separate the solids. Set aside the remaining liquid syrup to cool.
- Add lemon juice and remaining water to a large pitcher. Add the blueberry maple simple syrup to taste. Stir to combine.
- Serve the lemonade in glasses over ice. Make it sparkle by filling glasses only about 2/3 of the way with the lemonade and then top off with the club soda. Garnish with fresh mint, blueberries, and/or lemon wedges, if desired.
Make it into a Sparkling Blueberry Maple Lemonade Cocktail
Turn the lemonade into a mimosa of sorts by topping it off with champagne instead of club soda.
Add in some vodka to give it a little kick. You can get even more flavor if you use a flavored vodka, such as blueberry or lemon, but that will depend on your own personal tastes as it could be too much flavor.