You don’t have to wait until it is warm outside to have mouthwatering baby back ribs for dinner. Forget the grill and bust out your Instant Pot! Make them with just the dry rub, or use your favorite BBQ sauce for added flavor. May I recommend the Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce that you can also make in the Instant Pot?
This meal is easily prepped in just 10 minutes. Cooking time is 30 minutes plus time to come to pressure. It serves four.
Baby Back Ribs Dry Rub Ingredients
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 t. dried rosemary
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. cinnamon
- ¼ t. cayenne pepper
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Other Ingredients for Baby Back Ribs
- 2½ – 3 lbs. baby back ribs
- 1 c. beef stock (or water)
- Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce (or BBQ sauce of choice)
How to Make Baby Back Ribs in the Instant Pot
- Combine ingredients for the dry rub in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Carefully remove membrane from back of baby back ribs with a sharp knife, if necessary. Cut the ribs into 3 or 4 equal-sized parts and work the dry rub into each section on both sides. Set aside.
- Add beef broth or water to Instant Pot and insert the metal rack. Place the seasoned ribs on their sides on top of the insert. (Do not stack them flat on top of each other).
- Lock the Instant Pot lid into place and flip the pressure valve to “Sealing.” Set the “Manual” setting to high for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Once cooking time is complete, do a quick release (QR) by flipping the sealing valve to the “Venting” position. Unlock and remove the Instant Pot lid and carefully transfer ribs to prepared baking sheet. Brush ribs with a generous amount of BBQ sauce on each side.
- Pre-heat broiler to high and broil the ribs for 3-5 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove from oven and cool slightly before cutting into individual portions. Serve immediately with extra BBQ sauce for dipping.
I love and approve of myself.
Sure, you can buy all kinds of flavors of BBQ sauce in the stores. But there’s just something about making your own. You can easily make this dark cheery BBQ sauce right in your Instant Pot and tweak it to fit your own taste. It already has a ton of flavor in it, with the natural sweetness of the cherries and maple syrup combined with the warmth of the ginger, rosemary, and cinnamon flavors. Max out on the taste by making the sauce a couple of days ahead of time, so that the flavors have a chance to settle and really blend together for that perfect combination.
This recipe takes only about five minutes to prepare. Cooking time is 10 minutes, plus the time to come to pressure. It serves six to eight people.
Ingredients for Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2½ c. fresh or frozen dark cherries, pitted
- 1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies, with liquid
- 3 T. apple cider vinegar
- 2 t. fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1½ t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- 3 T. maple syrup
- 1 T. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 t. liquid smoke (optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
How to Make Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and select the “Sauté” function on the high temperature setting. Add the shallot and garlic and sauté until soft and slightly golden, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and add remaining ingredients, including the liquid from the tomatoes. If you have elected to also use the liquid smoke, now’s the time to add it. Stir to combine and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Lock the lid into place. Make sure the valve is set to the “Sealing” position and set the “Manual” setting to high for 10 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
- When finished cooking, do a quick release (QR) of the pressure according to the manufacturer’s suggestions before unlocking and removing the lid.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
Note: If you’re looking to make a thicker sauce, return it to the Instant Pot and bring it to a low boil using the “Saute” function set to high Heat, stirring frequently, until the excess liquid is reduced and the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
Try it on your favorite meat dishes. May I recommend baby back ribs that you can also make in your Instant Pot?