Chicken is consistently one of my favorite meals. It is such a versatile meat that complements so many flavors in dishes and can be made so many ways. I love the taste of roasted chicken and love it with vegetables. This particular recipe slow roasts the chicken all day with three of my favorite vegetables for some of my favorite flavors. If you actually have some leftover, you could use it for chicken salad or a soup the next day.
Ingredients for Slow Roasted Chicken With Vegetables
- 1 (3 1/2 lb.) chicken
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 8 baby carrots
- 8 small boiling onions, peeled
- 3/4 C chicken broth
- 1 t dried tarragon
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 potatoes cut into 1/2 inch slices
How to Make Slow Roasted Chicken With Vegetables
- Melt butter in a skillet. Stir in carrots and onions. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring often, or until the onions are a light brown. Pour chicken broth into the skillet. Stir in tarragon and thyme. Remove skillet from heat.
- Spread out potatoes over the bottom of the slow cooker. Add in the carrot-onion mixture from the skillet. Place the bay leaf into the mixture. Add the chicken on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until the juices from the chicken run clear when pierced with a fork. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a platter and keep warm.
- Skim the fat from the surface of the cooking liquid. Pour the cooking liquid into a saucepan over high heat. Bring liquid to a brisk boil. Cook, stirring often, until it is reduced to 1 cup. Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Bonus Slow Roasted Chicken With Vegetables Recipe
You can also make this recipe into soup! Complete the above directions through the 8 hours of cooking. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and remove the skin and bones. Return the meat to the slow cooker. Add 8 oz. of fully cooked noodles to the crock pot. Cook until heated through, about 30 minutes then enjoy.
Need a new slow cooker?
Here’s one for you to try. Note that I am an Amazon affiliate, so I may earn a small commission from any purchases made through the link if you click on the picture.