My favorite part of summer cookout season is making and/or eating potato salad. And red potato salad is infinitely better than other potatoes. I think it has better flavor and a different kind of texture combination that doesn’t offend my senses. Here’s one version that’s really good, a creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs, perfect for summer.
Ingredients for Creamy Red Potato Salad With Fresh Herbs:
- 3 pounds red potatoes, washed, dried, and cut into quarters
- ¾ c. mayonnaise
- ¾ c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium shallot, outer skin removed and finely chopped
- 3 T. Dijon mustard
- ½ c. fresh dill, chopped
- ½ c. fresh parsley, chopped salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Creamy Red Potato Salad With Fresh Herbs
- Place cut potatoes in a large microwave-safe dish and add 2 T. water. Cover and microwave for 2-3 minutes or until fork tender. (Cooking time will vary by microwave, so check after 2 minutes. Potatoes should be tender enough to split with a fork, but still firm).
- Remove potatoes from dish and spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet to dry. Blot gently with a paper towel, if needed.
- In a small glass bowl, add mayonnaise, yogurt, shallot, mustard and fresh herbs. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Add potatoes to a separate bowl and gradually add mayonnaise mixture and toss to coat. (Don’t add all of the mayonnaise mixture at once in case you decide you want less on your potato salad).
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days. For best taste results, make this the night before you’re going to serve it, so that all of the flavors mesh together.
If you want to mix up the flavor, I also sometimes switch out the shallots for either chopped green onions or make it really bold with red onions. It’s all about personal taste preference. You could also add in some hardboiled eggs if you wanted.
How do you like to make your red potato salad?