Breakfast smoothies are a great way to start the day. I like to mix it up with a variety of flavors, depending on my mood. I also have a tendency to get bored with the same thing day in and day out, but want to focus on healthy smoothie recipes as much as possible. The carrot cake smoothie is one that tricks you into thinking you’re enjoying a dessert, even though it is actually healthy.
Tempt your taste buds with the natural sweetness of oranges and carrots, balanced with complementary spices. Top it off with homemade coconut whipped cream for that dessert-y final touch if you want. And sometimes, to mix it up a bit, I may skip the whipped cream, and try other alternative milks for different flavors.
This smoothie recipe makes enough for two people. Plan ahead and plan to share. Or go ahead and be selfish on occasion. 🙂
Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1 13.5-oz. can coconut milk, chilled
- 1-2 T. maple syrup (optional)
- 1 t. orange zest (optional)
Tip: For best results, use coconut milk that does not contain guar gum to make the whipped cream.
Carrot Cake Smoothie Ingredients:
- 1 c. coconut milk
- 1 large banana, cut into chunks and frozen
- 2 large stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large orange, peeled
- 4 large carrots, roughly chopped
- ¾ t. cinnamon
- ¾ t. ground allspice
- ½ t. ground nutmeg
- 4-6 ice cubes
- Ground cinnamon
- Finely chopped walnuts
How to Make a Carrot Cake Smoothie:
- Chill coconut milk in refrigerator for several hours or overnight. To prepare, remove can from refrigerator without shaking or turning and remove lid. Scoop out the solidified “cream” from the top of the can and transfer to a mixing bowl. Reserve remaining liquid coconut milk to use in smoothie.
- Add maple syrup and orange zest, if desired, to mixing bowl and blend until light and airy. Allow coconut cream to warm up slightly before blending if lumps persist. Cover and place bowl in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add the coconut milk and frozen banana to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, around 30 seconds.
- Add celery, orange, carrots, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ice cubes. Blend on high speed until completely combined and creamy, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into glasses and top with a scoop of coconut whipped cream. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon or finely chopped walnuts, if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Have you tried the carrot cake smoothie? Let us know what you think!