A cassoulet is similar to a casserole, only it is a slow-cooked dish with meat and beans. The idea came to us from France. And I’m all about a nice filling dish with lots of protein in it. This one has a nice variety of pork products and beans in it and really is a great comfort food for the middle of winter.
Ingredients for Smoked Sausage and Bean Cassoulet
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb. lean boneless pork loin roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 lb. smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 tsp. finely shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
How to Make Smoked Sausage and Bean Cassoulet
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan, leaving drippings, and crumble.
- Add onion, garlic thyme, rosemary, and garlic to pan and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in crumbled bacon, salt, pepper, and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Place half of beans in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until chunky.
- Add beans to 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Add remaining half of beans, pork, sausage and tomato mixture and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to serve.
Need a new slow cooker?
You want to make sure you have a good slow cooker that is the right size for the job that you’re doing. Ready to upgrade? Check out this gorgeous one from Crock-Pot by clicking on the picture below It is my affiliate link, but that just means I can earn a few pennies should you make a purchase through it.