Mac-n-Cheese is one of those feel good staples that is perfect on its own as a meal or as a side dish for the holidays or other dinners. It’s so versatile! And you can easily set it and forget it with this slow cooker version that is so creamy and delicious.
Ingredients for Mac-n-Cheese
- 2 C elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 (12 oz.) can of evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 C of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 8 oz. processed cheese, cubed
- 2 C of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
How to make Mac-n-Cheese
- Cook the macaroni as directed on the package.
- Rinse with cold water and drain well.
- In a bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, milk, egg and butter.
- Place the macaroni into the slow cooker.
- Pour the milk mixture over the macaroni.
- Add the processed cheese and 1 1/2 C of the shredded cheese. Stir to incorporate the cheese into the macaroni mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until the center is set, stirring half way through the cooking time.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top and heat 3 minutes or just until the cheese begins to melt.
Makes 8 servings
- Make this macaroni and cheese a little lighter by using reduced fat evaporated milk, skim milk and 1/3 C of egg substitute in place of the above ingredients.
- To add a little flavor to macaroni and cheese, add crumbled crisp cooked bacon.
- Stir in frozen vegetables at the halfway point.
Need a new slow cooker?
Are you looking to upgrade, replace, or add a new slow cooker to your kitchen? Check out this one by clicking on the picture below. Note that it is my affiliate link, which just means I’ll earn a few extra pennies at no additional cost to you.