I love barbecue chicken. It’s great on its own or as a sandwich. It makes me think of cookouts and picnics and parties. Adding cranberry to the barbecue flavor gives it a whole other flavor profile that works at any time of year. Cranberry always makes me think of the holiday season as well. My friends and family know that I like to mix things up with different ideas at that time of year to go along with the traditional dishes. Here’s how you make Cranberry Barbecue Chicken right in your slow cooker.
Ingredients for Cranberry Barbecue Chicken:
- 4 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 C dried minced onions
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1 (16 oz.) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 C of barbecue sauce
How to make Cranberry Barbecue Chicken:
- Lay the chicken into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle evenly with the minced onions, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the cranberry sauce over the top of the chicken.
- Pour the barbecue sauce into the mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and the juice runs clear when pricked with a fork.
- Serve on rolls for sandwiches or on their own.
Makes 4 servings
- Jellied cranberry sauce won’t work in this recipe. It adds to much liquid to the finished dish.
- You may substitute chicken thighs or chicken legs if you prefer.
- This dish may also be cooked on high for 4 hours.
Need a new slow cooker?
Whether you’re looking to upgrade or simply add to your collection, there are a ton of great options out there for slow cookers. Check out this one by clicking on the image below. It is my affiliate link. But that just means I may earn a few extra pennies at no additional cost to you, should you decide to make a purchase.