Who says you have to keep on making your favorite dishes exactly the same way? Traditionally, refried beans are made from pinto beans. This version also incorporates red kidney beans for an interesting alternative for something just a little bit different. It’ll give your snacks and meals a different flavor, plus add a little bit of color.
This quick and easy recipe is perfect for busy weeknight meals or whenever you want a healthy, meatless side dish for your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex entrees. Use it in some of my other upcoming recipes that are coming soon!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Tip: For a more flavorful and authentic variation, substitute bacon grease for the olive oil in this recipe.
Ingredients for homemade refried beans:
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 16-oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can red kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- ½ t. smoked paprika
Optional ingredients for homemade refried beans:
- ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
How to cook refried beans:
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add beans, ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through and start to break apart slightly, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree beans with an immersion blender or a potato masher until almost smooth. Serve topped with fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Now what are you going to put these yummy beans into for your next meal or snack? Share your favorites with us!