Many of us are often looking for ways to save some money on our grocery bill. That’s the beauty of some slow cooker meals. Something like ham, red beans, and rice can be an inexpensive and tasty meal that will fill your bellies without depleting your bank account. You can save a little more by using your favorite herbs and spices for flavor and skip these flavorful veggies. But I admit that I definitely always have to have my onion and garlic in everything that I can!
Ingredients for Ham, Red Beans, and Rice:
- 1 lb. dried red beans, rinsed and drained well
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 C of water
- 2 2/3 C of beef broth
- 1/2 tsp crushed red hot peppers
- 1 smoked ham hock, skin scored in a diamond pattern
- 4 C of hot cooked rice
How to make Ham, Red Beans, and Rice in the slow cooker:
- Soak the beans over night in water.
- When ready to cook, drain well.
- Place oil into a skillet over medium high heat. Add the celery, onions, bell pepper, scallions and garlic, stirring often, for 6 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Transfer cooked veggie mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add beans to the slow cooker and stir to blend in.
- Add the water and beef broth to the slow cooker.
- Add the crushed red peppers and stir to blend all the ingredients together.
- Bury the ham hock into the beans.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 9 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Remove the ham hock and remove the skin and any fat.
- Shred the meat and place back into the beans.
- Serve the beans and meat mixture over the hot cooked rice.
Makes 6 servings
You can enjoy this as a main meal or even as a side dish. Any kind of pork works well. You could also try it with a smoked turkey wing cut into two pieces for something a little different.
Need a slow cooker?
Are you looking to update your slow cooker? There are so many wonderful choices out there! Check out this 6-quart one from Hamilton that also comes with a temperature probe by clicking on the picture below. Please note that it is my affiliate link, so should you make a purchase, I may make a few pennies at no additional cost to you. Thank your for your support!