We traditionally associated corned beef and cabbage with St. Patrick’s Day. I know I do. I look forward to the meal every year, especially the variations like corned beef sliders that I get down at the local pub for the holiday. But you can actually enjoy this meal at any time of year. In fact, I highly suggest it, because it is an easy and filling meal that everyone likes.
Ingredients for Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely diced
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely diced
- 1 Tbsp whole mixed pickling spice (or any other preferred combination of spices)
- 3 lb corned beef (no spice packet)
- 1 large, fresh green cabbage, cut into 12 wedges
How to Make Corned Beef and Cabbage
- In your slow cooker, stir together the water, apple cider vinegar, kosher salt, ground black pepper, onion, celery, and spices.
- Lay the corned beef on top of the mixture.
- Ladle some of the liquid from the bottom over the top of the corned beef.
- Set slow cooker to LOW, cover, and cook for 7 hours.
- Remove cover and arrange cabbage wedges evenly over the top of the corned beef.
- Replace cover and then continue cooking for 1 hour or until the cabbage is tender.
For those who wish to have potatoes to go with their corned beef and cabbage, you can cook those separately however you wish to make them. Some like them boiled. Some like them mashed.
Serves 6 to 8 people.
Need a new slow cooker?
Sometimes you just need a bit of an upgrade! Or you are replacing one that no longer works as well. Or maybe you are just adding to the collection to make multiple slow cooker dishes at one time. Here’s a highly recommended one for you to check out. Note that it is my affiliate link, so I may just earn a few pennies should you make a purchase through it.
Want to make it on the stove? Try this Classic Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe here.