Whether it’s Game Day, a pool party, or just snack time at home, spinach and artichoke dip is one of my favorite snacks. This recipe is a lovely warm version with fresh ingredients, some of which you can grow in your own garden, along with homemade toasted corn tortilla chips that are gluten-free. Try this at your next get-together or the next time you want a healthy and tasty treat at home.
Ingredients for Warm Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Toasted Corn Tortilla Chips
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 10-12 small gluten-free corn tortillas, cut into 8 wedges each
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 5 c. fresh spinach, long stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 T. fresh basil, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 14.5 oz. jar artichokes, packed in water, drained and chopped
- 1/3 c. full-fat sour cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3/4 c. Mozzarella cheese, divided
How to make Toasted Corn Tortilla Chips
- Move the top oven rack to the center position and then pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and set aside.
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat. Sprinkle both sides of the corn tortilla wedges with garlic powder and sea salt, to taste. Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet without overcrowding them. Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven. Bake them for about 8 to 10 minutes, until they are crispy and a golden brown. For best results, stir the chips about halfway through baking.
How to make Spinach Artichoke Dip
- While the tortilla chips are baking, heat the remaining olive oil and minced garlic in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped spinach and basil. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Cook approximately 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the spinach has wilted.
- Transfer the wilted spinach mixture to a large bowl and add the chopped artichokes, sour cream, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Move the spinach-artichoke mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread into a uniform layer. Top with the remaining Mozzarella cheese and place in the pre-heated oven, baking for about 25-30 minutes, until it is heated through and the cheese on top starts to turn a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with the toasted tortilla chips.
Note: If you’re taking it with you to a party, see if you can do the final baking at the person’s house. Otherwise, cover with foil and serve as soon as you get there.