When it’s cold outside, you want something to warm you up from the inside out. A tasty chicken fajita soup is guaranteed to do that. And making it in the Instant Pot makes it that much better because you’ll get your food on the table much faster. This recipe serves four to six people. It’ll take about 15 minutes to prep and then cooks in about 15 minutes (plus the time needed to come to pressure and an additional 10 minute natural release). Enjoy!
Still need to get an Instant Pot? Check one out through my Amazon affiliate link. I may earn a small commission if you purchase through this link, but it doesn’t cost you anything extra. I only share those products I think will be of interest to my readers and their families.
Ingredients for Chicken Fajita Soup
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
½ medium red onion, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 medium Poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 14-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with liquid
3 c. chicken broth, preferably organic
2 t. ground cumin
1 T. chili powder
2 t. Mexican oregano, dried
1 t. garlic powder
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 T. fresh lime juice
Ingredients for Garnish:
2 large avocados, sliced
3 T. red onion, chopped
Shredded Mexican cheese blend
Fresh cilantro, chopped
How to Make Chicken Fajita Soup in the Instant Pot
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add red onion, bell peppers, and Poblano pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the onion and peppers are crisp-tender and develop a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes. Switch unit to “off” and transfer veggies to a bowl. Set aside.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place chicken in Instant Pot®, along with tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 10 minutes. When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and shred chicken breasts with two forks. Add sautéed veggies, black beans and lime juice. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Allow soup to sit on “Warm” setting for several minutes until the veggies and beans are heated through. Serve immediately topped with sliced avocados, red onion, Mexican cheese, and fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!